VHD (Virtual HardDrive) file support has been deeply integrated throughout Windows 7. Users can make a system backup to VHD file and also boot from a VHD file. But what if you want to edit the VHD file and make a quick change or pull a file out of a backup? With Windows 7 you can easily mount a VHD file for offline editing in Disk Management.
- Click on the Start Button and key in diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
- Once in Disk Management, click on the Action in the menu bar and select Attach VHD.
- Select the file location and check Read-only to prevent writes to the VHD file.
- After you hit ok the drive will show up in Disk Management with a blue icon.
You can now access the F: drive in Explorer.
- When you want to un-mount the VHD file return to Disk Management and right click on the left side of the drive listed on the device chart and select Detach VHD.