Every single Windows Vista/7 presentation and demo I have seen has always included the new Flip 3D, alt+tab replacement. This is a cool feature that really helps you switch between windows when you have a lot open but for some, it can be a choppy experience. If you have a low end graphics card you may experience dropped frames resulting in a choppy animation experience while flipping through your windows. One easy way to make Flip 3D perform much better is to limit the number of windows it draws on your screen.
Follow the steps below to speed up Flip 3D on your computer:
- Click on the Start Button, key in regedit and hit Enter.
- Navigate through HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software, Microsoft, Windows and DWM.
- Create a new DWORD and call it Max3DWindows.
- Set the value of this to something between 4 and 9 depending on the performance of your card. Experiment with the values to find the best value for your hardware.
- Restart the DWM interface by running net stop uxsms and net start uxsms at a administrative level command prompt. Alternatively, you can just reboot your computer.