Microsoft has removed the classic Windows NT style logon screen in Windows Vista. You can no longer hit CTRL+ALT+Delete to get to a logon box where you can type in the username and password. Instead you have to enable the alternative logon screen to restore this capability.
- Click on the Start Button, key in secpol.msc and hit Enter.
- Navigate through Local Policies and Security Options.
- Locate and right click on "Interactive logon: Do not display last user name" and select Properties.
- Select Enable and hit OK.
- close Local Security Policy editor.
Log off and you will see the new logon screen.
Tip: If you need to log into a domain sign in with "domain\username". If you want to log into a local computer account, sign in with ".\local_username".