If you have ever tried to lock the workstation in 2000 or XP Pro, you may have noticed that when you lock the computer, it doesn't go to the box that states that the computer is locked by the user. It simply skips to the unlock window. This can cause problems with the screen saver and cause it to crash possibly giving the chance of screen burn-in over a long period of time. To combat this there is a registry fix available. This involves creating a file which can be called WorkstationFix.reg to do this for you. Here are the steps:
1. Open your favorite text editor(Notepad, etc...)
2. Type the following lines:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
3. Save the file as WorkstationFix.reg. (Make sure the "As type" box is not set to "Text Files" if you are using Notepad)
4. Right-click on the file you just saved and click Merge.
5. Click the OK button once the message box opens.
You should now be able to lock the workstation with no problem. You don't even have to restart the machine.
Novell Client fix for Locking Workstation
Posted in Windows XP by Community Submission