It is possible to display the version of Windows in the lower right corner of your desktop. This requires a modification in the Windows Registry.
You cannot decide what text you want to appear; it's predefined, based on the version of Windows you are running. For example, the text for Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 will be along the lines of:
Windows XP Professional
Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158 (Service Pack 2)
1) Click the Start button, click Run, type regedit and click OK
2) On the left-hand side, navigate to (and highlight)
3) On the right-hand side, locate PaintDesktopVersion and double-click it
4) In the pop-up window, change the data to 1 and click OK
0 = Hide Windows version from desktop
1 = Show Windows version on desktop
5) Close the Windows Registry Editor as well as your other programs and reboot (or log off and log back in).
Originally submitted by Sean.
Display the Windows version on your deskt
Posted in Windows XP by Community Submission