Here are a few tips that will help you become a Command Prompt Pro:
- Turn on Quick Edit Mode. This will allow you to easily select, copy and paste all with just your mouse and a right click. Details Here
- When typing in a file or folder name, type in part of the name and then hit the TAB key to bring up matches. Use SHIFT +TAB to go the other direction.
- When searching for a file, type in dir part_of_filename* to look for the file in the folder. To search sub directories as well, append the /s flag as well. Example: dir exp* /s
- Use the up arrow to go back over past commands. Alternatively you can hit F7 and go directly to the command.
- When working with network drives type: prompt $m$p$g to show the full network path along with the drive prompt. Other prompt settings can be found by running prompt /?.
- You can print the contents of a file by typing: copy file.txt prn
- Write the output of any command by appending > output.txt. For example, dir > filelist.txt
Do you have a good tip that should be added to this list? Send it to me here.