Originally Posted by Mnosteele
Basic troubleshooting tips, PLEASE read and follow these things prior to asking for help. They are basic things that will fix most of your common problems.
1. Scan for spyware, this MUST be done with Ad Aware 6.0 & SpyBot 1.2 after you have updated them to the latest definitions. Just follow my SPYWARE Removal link in my signature.
2. Scan for virii after you update your antivirus program to the latest definitions.
3. Make sure you have the latest Windows Updates, especially the Critical Updates.
4. If it is a hardware issue make sure you have the latest drivers for your hardware from the manufacturer of your hardware, not Windows Update.
5. Run check disk. (we recommend booting to the Recovery Console and running chkdsk /r)
6. If you are using a "fix-it" utility try running it and see if there are any problems.
7. Insert your XP disk and go to start - run and type sfc /scannow, this will replace any corrupt files.
8. Try and repair XP with your XP CD.
9. If you have just edited your registry for a tweak and things mess up, undo the tweak.
10. Use System Restore