If you do not use Windows Messenger then why not uninstall it. Every time you start up your computer, Messenger also starts up which can slow everything down and use up more system resources. To uninstall it:
1. Click on the Start button and select Run.
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
in the text box and click OK. You will see a progress bar appear shortly as it deletes its files and it will then ask you to reboot. After the reboot the program will be gone.
Uninstalling Messenger on computers that have Service Pack 1 installed
- Open Control Panel from the Start menu.
- Choose Add or Remove Programs.
- Select Add/Remove Windows Components.
- Click to remove the checkmark next to "Windows Messenger".
- Click the Next button.
- Click the Finish button.
Note - sometimes you have have to perform BOTH operations (both the Add/Remove AND the command line removal)