A great new feature in Microsoft Windows XP is the ability to do a boot defragment. This places all boot files next to each other on the disk to allow for faster booting. By default this option in enables but on some builds it is not so below is how to turn it on.
- Start Regedit. If you are unfamiliar with regedit please refer to our FAQ on how to get started.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction
- Select Enable from the list on the right.
- Right on it and select Modify.
- Change the value to Y to enable and N to disable.
- Reboot your computer.