repairing the gui

Posted 7 years, 301 days ago in Windows XP and Older Versions by monographix

I dont know what has messed up my win XP ui. I am suspecting GameXP did it probably, but although i did restore some glitches like images preview not working, filmstrip not working, jpg thumbnails not working, etc there is a number of other issues that i cant fix. Is there a way to repair / restore the windows XP GUI as a whole?

Thanks

Join or Log in to Reply

Page 1 of 215 Replies
RichieUK 36762 posts Moderators
Posted 7 years, 301 days ago

First and most obvious,have you tried System Restore thats if you have a restore point available for before this problem started.

If you have the MS Windows XP install disk.
Click Start>Run,type sfc /scannow then press Ok.
Leave a space in between sfc and /scannow
Reboot when you've done.

If still no joy try a Repair Install.
Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive.
[Boot into the Bios and set your CD-Rom drive as first boot device].
For more information about how to do this,refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer.
Then insert your Microsoft Windows XP Setup CD,and restart your computer.
When the 'Press any key to boot from CD' message is displayed on screen, press a key.
Press ENTER when you see the message to setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the 'Welcome to Setup' screen.
Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.
In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

http://www.getfirefox.net

monographix 10 posts Forum Members
Posted 7 years, 300 days ago

Thanks Richie.
It seems like regisrty issue rather than altered files. Will try the sfc now.

i tried both, no change .............

there is a number of other issues that i cant fix

Well it sounds like you either fix what you're able to or format and reinstall XP.
Can you make a list of the problems you're not able to fix and post it into your next reply please.

Posted 7 years, 297 days ago

Thank you

Here are some of the glitches i have found so far, i am sure there are more. Highlighted by the red outlines ....

- second color in title bar is off
- background color in top toolbars menu items switching colors abnormaly

testing

Exactly what visual style is that please,doesn't look like the Windows Classic style.

Its the Microsoft Zune Theme for windows XP downloaded from the official microsoft zune site. it was working just fine before GameXP. The color2 of the title bar isn't working in any style, not even in standard windows style which i am using a lot.

Any suggestions maybe on other as well good forums hosting XP GUI experts (customizing XP?) . I already contacted the GameXP author to provide me with a list of registry alterations their program does but no response yet

Posted 7 years, 296 days ago

Ok,i've been doing some investigations regarding GameXP,and it seems bad news.
If you didn't back up your system before installing it,or at least created a new System Restore point first,it appears there's little or no chance of repairing the damage.

Posted 7 years, 296 days ago

i see ........

any chance maybe GameXp is also related with that DVD / movie files playing has now some issues such as the monitor going blank reporting off range frequency or the whole desktop moving down the screen and losing the cursor or the bottom of the desktop (including the taskbar) being lost in a black horizontal zone ? .....