Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12»»

Windows photo Viewer cannot open pictures Expand / Collapse
Author

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 10/18/2010 4:49 PM
Hello, I am new with Windows 7, I installed it fresh on new drives. It is Windows 7 Professional, fully updated with latest downloads. For some reasons, I cannot open any pictures with the Windows Photo Viewer, it always tells me that:
"Windows Photo Viewer can<t open this picture because you don't have the correct permissions to access the file location"

I understant the message, it is clear but I tried everything I know, permission, ownership, location (USB Key, CD, HDD) and I always get the same error message. I con open them with Paint, the Office Viewer or any other tool.

Is there anyone that knows what I can try?

Thanks
  Post #258922

Posted 10/18/2010 5:05 PM

Forum Administrator

Forum AdministratorForum AdministratorForum AdministratorForum AdministratorForum AdministratorForum AdministratorForum AdministratorForum AdministratorForum AdministratorForum Administrator

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 8/9/2008 6:13 AM
Permissions in Windows 7 can be finicky and arbitrary.

Download and install the take ownership context menu add in (http://www.blogsdna.com/2173/add-take-ownership-option-in-right-click-context-menu-of-windows-7.htm).

Then use it to take ownership of the folder(s) containing the pictures and let's see if that helps.

Post #258923

Posted 10/19/2010 1:11 AM

Senior Forum Moderator

Senior Forum ModeratorSenior Forum ModeratorSenior Forum ModeratorSenior Forum ModeratorSenior Forum ModeratorSenior Forum ModeratorSenior Forum ModeratorSenior Forum ModeratorSenior Forum ModeratorSenior Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 8/9/2008 10:14 AM
Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because you don't have the correct permissions to access the file location.

Post #258924

Posted 10/19/2010 5:32 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Thanks for the replies!!

Allan, I have this utility, it doesn't change anything. I take ownership of the folder, file, the result is the same and still cannot open in photo viewer. Also tried to change the security manually but nothing has an effect.

RichieUK, I guess you want me to click on the link... Beleive me, I tried everything I got by searching for this. People always resolve it by changing their security somehow. This has no effect in my case.

How to explain that all other Windows Photo software has no problem. Paint, Office Picture Viewer, etc?
  Post #258926

Posted 10/19/2010 5:41 PM

Senior Forum Moderator

Senior Forum ModeratorSenior Forum ModeratorSenior Forum ModeratorSenior Forum ModeratorSenior Forum ModeratorSenior Forum ModeratorSenior Forum ModeratorSenior Forum ModeratorSenior Forum ModeratorSenior Forum Moderator

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 8/9/2008 10:14 AM
Try the following if you haven't already,first create a new system restore point.
How to Create a System Restore Point in Windows 7:
http://bit.ly/GXm6n

Then download the SubInACL tool and install it via this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E8BA3E56-D8FE-4A91-93CF-ED6985E3927B&displaylang=en

By default it will install to c:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools
If you are running Windows Vista/Win 7, click on the Start menu, choose All Programs, then Accessories, then right-click on the item named Command Prompt and choose "Run as administrator"
If you are running an OS other than Windows Vista/Win 7, go to the Start menu, choose Run, type cmd and click OK
In the command prompt, type notepad reset.cmd and click Yes to open Notepad.exe and create a new text file named reset.cmd
Copy and paste the following contents into reset.cmd

cd /d "%programfiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=restricted=r /grant=YOURUSERNAME=f /setowner=administrators > %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
subinacl /keyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=restricted=r /grant=YOURUSERNAME=f /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /grant=everyone=r /grant=restricted=r /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
subinacl /keyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /grant=everyone=r /grant=restricted=r /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
subinacl /keyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=r /setowner=administrators >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
subinacl /subdirectories %programfiles%\ /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=e >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\ /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f /grant=users=e >> %temp%\subinacl_output.txt

Important!!
Change the values named YOURUSERNAME to be the Windows user account that you are logged in with.

Note:
The YOURUSERNAME value should match the name of your user folder at c:\users.You can also find the value to use for YOURUSERNAME by launching Task Manager and looking at the user name listed in the User Name column of the Processes tab.

Save and close reset.cmd.
In the command prompt, type reset.cmd and press Enter to run the SubInACL tool.
This tool will take several minutes to run so be patient,and it requires that the user account you are using has administrator privileges on the system. This is why it is necessary to run it from an elevated cmd prompt on Windows Vista. Step 2 above can be used to start an elevated cmd prompt on Windows Vista.
After reset.cmd completes, try to install the product that previously failed to install correctly on your system.

Post #258927

Posted 10/19/2010 5:45 PM

I do not follow you, at the end, you say to reinstall what I could not reinstall. I do not want to install anything, just open pictures on my d drive...
  Post #258928

Posted 10/19/2010 5:46 PM

Forum Administrator

Forum AdministratorForum AdministratorForum AdministratorForum AdministratorForum AdministratorForum AdministratorForum AdministratorForum AdministratorForum AdministratorForum Administrator

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 8/9/2008 6:13 AM
Don't worry about that last sentence and run the utility. It will change all of your permissions (files, folders, registry keys) to your username.

Post #258929

Posted 10/19/2010 7:15 PM

By the way, I have windoes 7, is it still valid?

When I run the tool, I get a lot of "failed"
  Post #258931

Posted 10/19/2010 7:24 PM

Damn me!! I forgot the restore point...

Fortunately, one was created when I installed the resource kit
  Post #258932

Posted 10/19/2010 7:28 PM

Exact same behavior after I run the tool. Maybe the errors prevented it to work fine?
  Post #258933

« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

All times are GMT -6:00, Time now is 10:55am